18.3.12

Ad Libitum: I can't stand the paleo "community"

Ad Libitum: I can't stand the paleo "community"

Friday, 2 March 2012


I can't stand the paleo "community"

Well done Jimmy Moore. I really enjoyed his recent post on the low-carb vs. paleo schism.

He's a very brave man, putting his personal weight struggles out there like that, subjecting himself to ridicule. He's been a target of attacks emanating from the usual quarters recently for pushing 300 lbs. You know what? Anyone who has ever lived in a weight-reduced state following a significant weight loss (> 100 lbs in Jimmy's case) knows the monster he is facing on a daily basis. Kudos to him for trying to resolve his endocrine issues. Why mock a man for assuming, rather sensibly in my opinion, that he has a hormonal problem? What formerly obese person doesn't? I don't understand why anyone would diss a man for eating to hunger. It's easy for thin people who have never had to live in a chronic state of hunger in order to even stay obese as opposed to morbidly obese to throw stones.

Take Kurt Harris for example. He is such a nasty little troll. I can't stand this pompous windbag. He speaks with such vehemence, such certitude. Er, excuse me? What actual first-hand knowledge does a lean radiologist have of obesity? Has he ever been significantly overweight? No. Does he treat obese patients? Nope again. He just read a whole bunch of papers. Geez! That's great. I guess watching all those thousands of movies makes me an expert filmmaker.

Typical MD behaviour, talking down to you as if you're a developmentally delayed seven-year-old, about things they don't know shit about.

No one has all the answers. Three years ago this twerp was comparing Gary Taubes to John the Baptist. Now we're told 70% carb diets are a-ok as long as they're "low reward".

...whatever the hell that means. Well, guess what, every low-calorie, low-fat diet ever attempted is bloody low reward. How is a typical diet of skinless chicken breast, lettuce and vegetable soup rewarding? Tell me why out of millions of people who have attempted these completely unpalatable diets, practically all of them failed? How come eating tasteless rubber didn't magically lower the mythical hypothalamic setpoint? Don't tell me every fat person in the world is a gluttonous impulsive idiot who just couldn't stick to it for emotional reasons. Seriously, all of them? Every last one of them?

What's even more surprising is when a self-admitted eating disordered fatass like Carbsane attacks Jimmy Moore for the crime of, er, eating.

I can't...

6 comments:

Well said. What sickens me is her self-righteous hypocrisy and pompous attitude - she seems to believe that she represents real science and truth. Her blog is just an ego trip, probably because she has no validity in her real life. I am a professional female scientist working in a man's subject - all my female colleagues know exactly how difficult it is to be taken seriously in a science field and she is really not doing the cause of female scientists any favours. She makes us all cringe.
Reply