26.2.14

5 Most Frequent Foods in My Diet Fitness, Nutrition, Self-Improvement, and How to Become the Best Version of Yourself

5 Most Frequent Foods in My Diet Fitness, Nutrition, Self-Improvement, and How to Become the Best Version of Yourself



| ,






I
have been contemplating which foods I most frequently consume in my
diet these days. I wanted to become aware of the foods which are at the
core of my nutrition and build its basic foundation. This seems rather
important considering that these foods make up the bulk of my daily
calories.
Often, people will tell you that a
particular health food is part of their diet (e.g. salmon) but they
neglect to mention that they only consume salmon once a month. This
obviously makes salmon a rarely consumed food which doesn’t contribute
greatly toward better health.
After recording a tally chart for most
food items I eat for the past 2 weeks, I have found that the following
foods are the ones I consume most frequently on a weekly basis:

1. Salmon

SONY DSC
Lavendel Blossom-Covered Wild Salmon
Either fried in the pan or cold-smoked, I
absolutely love the taste of salmon and its amazing nutrient profile.
Lots of proteins, essential Omega-3 fats, no carbs –> simply a health
food in my opinion that anybody’s brain development could benefit from.
I ALWAYS try to go for wild-caught Sockeye salmon or Oncorhynchus keta from the Pacific Ocean – especially after watching the SALMON CONFIDENTIAL
documentary which shocked me and opened up the disastrous reality of
aqua-cultured farmed salmon. Everybody should watch this who is
interested where their salmon comes from and how the salmon industry is
fucking up the wild salmon stocks.



2. Ground Beef

SONY DSC
Meatball Time
Always going for the organic grass-fed
version of pure beef. This is a big staple in my diet. I usually
alternate between salmon and ground beef each day. So that’s roughly 3 x
salmon + 3 x ground beef = 1 week. I am not afraid of red meat as most
of the media world seems to be – I think it’s a wonderful protein source
and if you get grass-fed stuff it will actually have MORE
omega-3s, Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA), antioxidants, vitamins &
minerals than any conventional grain-fed beef can even dream about.
You can create a lot of diverse meat dishes with ground beef, ranging from Mexican flavoured Taco meat, Spanish “Albondigas” meatballs or burger balls inspired by my Polish grandma.



3. Eggs

That’s a no-brainer for me but no for
the majority of Western people. We have been indoctrinated with the idea
that saturated fats are bad and give you heart disease. Therefore, egg
yolks are to blamed and not consumed en masse due to their high level of
evil saturated fats. I have inherited a genetic mutation called Familial Hypercholesterolemia
(FH) from my dad with the consequence that my LDL level and my risk for
cardiovascular disease are pretty high. Still, I eat egg yolks (mostly
raw in a smoothie) because they provide important nutrients and
saturated fats which (if not oxidised due to heat) are blessing for
proper brain functioning and nerve signal transduction.
For me, it’s roughly 10 eggs per week
from pastured chickens which get to see sunlight and eat anything they
find (as opposed to most conventional chickens).



4. Milk

Strictly speaking, I am not Paleo and have never been Paleo. I have kind of settled for a Paleo + Dairy deal.
I love milk but not the homogenised crap you get at the supermarket.
Most of the time, I buy raw milk from an organic farm who also sell the
most amazing raw cheeses and joghurts.
Typically, I consume about a litre of
milk per day – more on workout days to reap the anabolic effects of
dairy’s Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF 1). I like to have a big glass
of milk in the morning after my early coffee to ingest some calories
without having to prepare a big breakfast. This lasts me till lunch.
Post workout I can easily down a litre in my shake.



5. White Rice

White rice is a clean source of carbs
whose sole purpose is to fill up my glycogen stores and fuel my next
workout. It does not come with the gut-disrupting gluten protein found
in grains andPaul Jaminet and Dave Asprey consider white rice a “clean”
carb source. I have recently bought a big 5kg (~11 lbs) bag of Basmati
rice from the Asian store. Super stuff and very cheap per kg. I like to
use cooked rice primarily as a carrier for all the healthy fats bound in
a nice gravy. Similarly, rice waffles also act as a vector for more nutrient-dense foods such as butter, cheese or ham.












Beef, lamb, eggs, white rice, kimchi