26.2.14

offee on an empty stomach, it should always be with food, since it increases the metabolic rate, and can deplete glycogen stores - Critical MAS

Approaching Nutrition From An Investor's Mindset - Critical MAS



COFFEE




Dry instant coffee is close to 0.5% magnesium, so a cup of strong coffee has about 40 mg. I make strong drip coffee.




The antioxidants in very fresh coffee might have some special value,
but I think instant coffee is on average just as good as brewed coffee.
The high temperature of espresso gets the most caffeine, lower
temperature processes get the minerals and vitamins (mostly niacin) and
aroma, but a little less of the caffeine.




It’s important not to drink coffee on an empty stomach, it should
always be with food, since it increases the metabolic rate, and can
deplete glycogen stores.




(I took away two things from the above – if I want to decrease the
amount of caffeine, I should cut back on espresso coffee and have filter
instead, and the other is don’t drink coffee on its own but with some
food). I am doing both of these and find that I have less of a
cortisol/adrenaline response to coffee ensuring I drink it with food and
drinking filter coffee (I am getting less caffeine per cup).














says







@Pauline – Espresso actually has the least amount of caffeine as the
contact time is the shortest. However, it has the strongest flavor
signal, which makes it the most addicting to me. I sold my espresso
machine, which has helped me reduce my caffeine levels.




The Peat folks are convinced that depleting glycogen is always a bad
thing. I’m less convinced. Although I am willing to concede it may be
bad for me at this time.