27.6.11

Low carb blogs - more accepting starch now?

from comments on this article: 180 Degree Health: Ray Peat - PUFA
Wolfstriked said... 
 
Hey Matt and crew.Lately I have stumbled upon two things that have brought alot of happiness to my life in the form of fatloss,sex drive,mood and energy.I wanna post this here because it has alot to do with Matt's strong stance on the "carb wars" and how we might be wrong in trying to drop carbs from our diets.Just look at all the low carb sites that are slowly saying its ok to eat rice and potatoes and now fruit.They claim LC but slowly the amounts will start to come back up to SAD levels. I have nothing against LC....just need to point that out.Its just that I have a hard time believing that all the doctors and LC gurus seem to be oblivious of Japan and the known health of its people.They eat rice of god forbid wheat(noodles)at every meal.The starch is main component with toppings like eggs,fish and meat with some vegetables.WHY WHY is this not mentioned....instead all I hear is that the Japanese eat vegetables and raw fish when a staple served in their homes is beef and potato stewed in soysauce or noodles with pork and veggies in soup. I also have found that in Japan its common thought that to lose weight you just cut the fat.....OMG!! So recently I have decided upon following the Japanese style diet just Americanized for some meals.I am talking bagels and 3 hard boiled eggs with cup of joe for breakfast from local NYC cart.Lunch and dinner is typically a starch and some meat and veg Japan style in that I top with soy sauce usually.I tried cutting the protein rich foods out two days ago but found I started getting pains in my liver(why is that)and it went away when I put back in the meat. Weightloss is superb of course due to it being low calorie meals.I know it goes against the high amount of food you push to drive metabolism but I believe now that one needs to do high and low calorie wise for best health.Its in tune with your recent posts on intuitive eating. See I always seem to do well on low calorie and then 3 days in my body rejects and I bloat out.So I am starting to notice that if I eat an extra HED style meal(butter,rice,meat) that day,I wake up with looser fitting pants.Could be why skinny people stay skinny...they eat intuitively and feast.Then the appetite is regulated from the feast the day before for a day or two after at which point....for me at least I bloat and appetite goes thru the roof.This is new to me and today I have eaten only 1000cal and not really hungry attributed to the feast 2200cal from yesterday
In case my point did not get thru well.I believe now that the best tool in the war against fatloss is to....first cut calories to lose fat...then to eat extra when you feel the diet stops working. I tried the Leangains diet a few months back and found fatloss was superb and muscle growth also but hate any diet based on meat.  I now think that LeanGains is working(fatloss wise)due mainly to the fat that you double calories on days you WO.....not that you intermittant fast or that its very high protein(the high protein does pack on the muscle though if thats what you want)but that you alternate low calorie days with high calorie which prevents the slowdown of metabolism.I find that I have to take a dump and feel hot and sweaty a 1/2 hour after this large meal.