9.6.11

Carbs at 2% or 20% - no difference observed, Dr Kurt Harris

Dr Kurt Harris - offering some valuable perspective on low carb and paleo eating, from a post titles "Archevore - Archevore Blog - Raw Paleo and Zero Carb - right for the wrong reasons":

Extract:
"As far as the "zero carb" thing, I have the same concerns. Saying all carbs are bad, and we cannot tolerate them at all is just another unsupported dogma. Saying we don't need carbs vs making a fetish of totally avoiding them can lead you to very different places, one of which is the reasonable accusation of being cultish and unscientific - this impedes spreading the message and hence makes it harder to help non-fanatics with their health. My own diet is nearly zero carb some days but I have never claimed that that is is better than 10 or even 20% carbs. I am not saying it is not, I just don't have evidence that it is.
I eat my meat so rare it is almost raw and I eat sashimi and tuna completely raw. But not because of raw dogma, I just like it that way. I eat no potatoes or white rice or yams because I am sensitive to starch, not because I have unequivocal evidence they are bad in small quantities. I eat a VLC nearly carnivorous diet. The most important elements of this are no wheat or other grains, zero plant oils and very low fructose. Whether the carb level is 2% or 10% or even 20% with preservation of these more important parameters, I have not seen evidence there is a difference.
PaNu is often conjectural, but will always be based on science and I am constantly looking for evidence I might be wrong.
PaNu is proscriptive (don't eat that food!) because the way to the EM2 is to avoid the neolithic agents of wheat, linoleic acid and fructose, not through duplicating a particular dietary composition from the paleolithic period - there was too much variety to even do that, and much of what I read about what paleo man ate is pure conjecture if not paleofantasy.
I am fairly confident about what paleo man did not eat, however, and that makes our task much easier."