9.6.11

Dr Kurt Harris - profile and creed

Dr Kurt Harris:
an extract:
I am a practicing physician with training in biology, chemistry, physics and all the biomedical basic sciences, including pathology, anatomy, physiology, endocrinology, biochemistry, etc. My specialty is radiology (interpreting MRI, CT scans, ultrasound, angiograms, etc.) and I have subspecialty training in neuroradiology and spent several years in academics in that subspecialty, doing teaching and research. 


In my clinical practice, I have also acquired considerable experience in cardiovascular imaging. I read CT and ultrasound studies of the heart and vascular system daily. Although some radiologists read images in a room with little patient contact, at my imaging center we often review the exam results with patients, so I get the chance to see and speak with the actual person whose images I interpret. Radiologists are responsible for knowledge of many aspects of different clinical subspecialties. 

The relevance of this is that I approach everything from this clinical perspective. I see people suffering from diseases of civilization every single day.

When I first heard Gary Taubes on NPR almost 3 years ago, and then read his book (twice in 2 weeks) I started reading on nutrition several hours a day, including thousand of abstracts, hundreds of full text papers, dozens of diet books, newest editions of textbooks on biochemistry, cell physiology, cardiology, gastroenterology, endocrinology, several textbooks of comparative animal physiology and anatomy, books on evolution, anthropology, archaeology, paleoanthropology... 

Well, you get the picture.

I have experience with medical criticism and have written a book chapter, review articles and several peer-reviewed articles of original research.