17.1.13

4500 calories a day and no exercise? Is that possible? Paleo Diet hacks

4
2

500 calories a day and no exercise? Is that possible? Paleo Diet hacks

Valid info or just trying to make money?

flag

4
I don't know, but I thought I didn't exercise much and was kind of amazed at my muscle, but then I realized that I do exercise because of living in NYC and having to take so many stairs to get to work, carry heavy groceries, etc etc – Bread-Eating Beelzebub Aug 16 2011 at 3:36
2
I agree with Melissa. Lifestyle in and of itself can be exercise. I wouldn't consider wrestling my 4 year old exercise, but its about the same as tossing a 35lb bag of potatoes around for thirty minutes :) – JayJay Aug 16 2011 at 3:46
2
5 hours of sleep and chronic overeating. Matt Stone's one month over feeding is one thing but a full 2 years. Not cool dude. – No more. Aug 16 2011 at 3:51
2
Can MCTs even be stored as body fat? Even thousands of calories of them may not be able to ever reach one's adipocytes. – Travis Culp Aug 16 2011 at 18:59
1
Bill, I would think mania to be a very enjoyable state. – Kasra Jun 12 at 14:25
show 2 more comments

15 Answers


18
Here's the deal guys/gals. I am not lying about my food intake or exercise habits. The Bulletproof Diet is not the same as paleo. It came about via biochemistry and toxicology, before Paleo hit the scene, based on my experience losing 100lbs and keeping it off years ago, based on my nonprofit work as the President of an 18 year old anti-aging nonprofit in Palo Alto that brings in guys like Gary Taubes, Aubrey de Grey and Dr. Lustig every month to lecture to the public, and based on careful research as the author of a book about pregnancy nutrition which is coming out this year, published by Wiley & Sons. It has 1300 references and is paleo-friendly, but it includes other biohacking things I do for stress reduction and looks at environmental factors that just aren't in the paleo world. It was Gary Taubes who was kind enough to refer me to his publishing agent. (He does not endorse anyone's work because he's a journalist, including mine.) Oh, and it was my wife, a MD from the Karolinska Institute, who co-authored the book. She ate this diet so we could have healthy kids after age 40, and she still eats it today.

I hug my caveman friends, but I am not one.

I mention my successful career on my site for a couple reasons. First, you might surmise that I am not hocking crap because I'm starving. Second, my blog is for people who want to be superhuman at whatever it is they love. Ripped abs is a small part of that - mental performance, stress, and resilience are more important. Half my posts are about autonomic nervous system function and brain hacking. The Bulletproof Diet is just a part of it, but it matters - a lot - because as you get your brain more tuned, you become more aware of what food does to it. Race cars need 104+ octane fuel to perform. Hacked brains do better on higher octane food with no impurities too. But the deal is that I "walk the walk" and I really have been a VC on Sand Hill (an EIR at a VC actually) and I've done $6 billion deals and made some cool stuff early in the creation of cloud computing. Hell, I made $6 million when I as 26 years old. Yes, I was a co-founder of the Basis health tracking device company. I'm a real guy. And my diet, brain hacking, smart drugs, and the extra hours I get from not sleeping helped my career enormously. A more selfish guy would just hide how he did it, which is what my Wharton MBA training tells me is the "path to profits." Whatever. I'm a transhumanist - a caveman with a chemistry lab and electrodes on my head on the cover of the Financial Times - and care a lot more about living fully than I do keeping my methods secret.

About the environmental impact of my program, we could debate I'm sure...all I can tell you is that even at 4500 calories per day, the total animal deaths I cause (not counting fish) per year - including field kills - is under 10, and probably would be under 5 if I lived at home. If I stuck to only beef, it would be .7 deaths per year. All of it is local except Kerry Gold and coconut stuff and Bulletproof Coffee which is the most awesome thing besides Modafinil I think I've ever put in my mouth.

I'd eat less, but this is the amount of food that keeps me performing at my best. And I firmly believe that it's our duty to fully live in the time we have here on this planet. The goal of life is not to accumulate power, but to radiate it. So says Henry Miller, and I'm all about that.

About selling stuff. Look at my products on upgradedself.com. Every single one of them is something I use. I work with health-oriented medical types all the time, and for the most part, physicians and nutrition/health people are TERRIBLE entrepreneurs because they have had no business training, and their products languish. I take the most awesome things I find, and I put them on my site. Take my MCT oil and grass-fed collagen protein. They were formulated by a guy who was a nutritionist for Olympic teams twice. Had you ever heard of them before I posted them? Nope. But there is no other source for grass-fed beef protein powder - especially hydrolyzed collagen II - on the internet! That MCT is not the same as generic MCT because the ratios of fatty acids are different. Both have noticeable differences...and both are terrible products to sell online because making them is expensive as all hell. My margins on those are approximately 20% of the minimum needed for successful online marketing. This is a labor of love done because I like helping people and for selfish reasons I want these products to continue to exist so I can eat them.

About leaky gut: Not anymore. Had big probs with it 10 years ago. Mycotoxins are the major cause of it, by the way. Charcoal is your friend.

About being thermogenic. Yes, when I was heavy, my body temp was closer to 96.8 than 98.6. I reset my body temp in a week in a very sweaty, uncomfortable procedure to be 98.6 again, and I take physician-monitored levels of thyroid hormone because while I make enough TSH, I do not adequately convert T4 to T3. My T3 levels are high enough for vitality and health but not abnormally high. I am thermogenic because I use MCT oil - not just coconut oil - and because my diet is higher in fat than most paleo people eat.

About sleep: I state clearly that you should get enough sleep, but I know - and you know - that many of us don't. Minimizing the harm is a good idea. I tell you how. I also post the most detailed study every done about the number of hours of sleep you need, and it turns out that 8 is probably too much, at least if you like to live. I didn't make up the data; it came from >1 million people. TS Wiley is a stud and I quote Sex Lies Menopause in my book quite a lot. She personally gave me my copy at an anti-aging show, and I use techniques from Lights Out every night. Love her stuff.
I'm a guinea pig. I did a comprehensive anti-aging panel before and after my 2 year experiment. I also did a 24 hour hospital-grade heart monitor to detect nervous system stress and other pending health problems. I'm about to post the quantitative analysis. Short story is that I am ahead of the curve and show no signs of autonomic problems from it and my cortisol is the lowest I've had in 7 years. The only test I haven't done - and I don't have data from before the experiment - is telomere length. It's kind of pricey to do and without before and after data, there would be big questions about whatever it said, especially given how poor my health was for the first 25 years of my life.
In fact, if you want to know more about telomeres, my nonprofit is hosting an expert on them this Thursday at 8pm PST. Come see it live in Palo Alto, or live online streaming.

Details at http://smartlifeforum.org/2011/08/SLF-2011-AUGUST.pdf and live link is www.smartlifeforum.org/live Oh yeah, no charge.

So if you think I'm not credible, or scheming to make money by lying about eating extra calories so I can somehow magically make a buck, you should by all means ignore what I write. Email me so I can tell you how to edit your hosts file to prevent your computer from seeing my blog ever again. And when an army of mentally enhanced super-cavemen out-compete you genetically, leaving you with only wheat and pasteurized, soy-fed cow milk to eat, you can always change your mind and start reading...

Except you, Jeff. Your hostility isn't helping anyone. Try some neurofeedback or at least an emWave2 (yes, from my site...) for that.

link|flag

2
do you really not exercise? Do you walk a lot? Take stairs? Have lots of sex? – Bread-Eating Beelzebub Aug 16 2011 at 18:47

What do you suspect is the reason for your poor conversion of T4 to T3? I suppose you would have tried supplementing with selenium, right? – Travis Culp Aug 16 2011 at 18:55
2
The diet looks solid, but then again I can't tell how it differs from "paleo." Can you break down the differences. I want to point out that, while you may have read countless sources, on your summary page, you put a single link to GCBC and the "basic principles" section is a summary of GCBC. Some of Taube's theory's haven't been viewed too favorably recently.... in case you hadn't figured that out. – imanomnivore Aug 16 2011 at 18:58
1
I also don't see the difference between this and low-carb paleo. The only thing I can see is that the bulletproof diet allows sugar alcohols and dextrose. What am I missing here? – Phoenix Aug 16 2011 at 19:15
1
I wonder how much the Modafinil can be attributed to your weight loss success, not to discount anything else, it just makes me curious when I see pharms like that bandied about. Anyway, I'm upvoting you because you showed up to defend yourself and I respect that. – invisible ink Aug 16 2011 at 23:24
show 6 more comments

10
Given the water, energy, soil nutrients, time, and labor necessary to produce food...isn't it kind of selfish to eat that much? Shouldn't our goal be to eat what we need to be happy and healthy, and no more?
link|flag


love this comment. Really bugs me when people brag about all the food they waste each day via what they "get away with". If you don't need it, don't eat it. And that guy definitely doesn't need 4500 calories day. What a waste of money too. – Bill Aug 16 2011 at 16:25

Way to go guys, let the anorexism begin. Can't believe you call that selfish. There was a lot of energy involved in making the computer you're working on, in creating the house you're living in, are you gonna give that all up just for the sake of 'not being selfish'? You're basically telling a guy to eat less because it's selfish to eat how he wants. – Korion Jun 12 at 21:55

7
Lost me at
Dave Asprey is a Silicon Valley entrepreneur
link|flag


4
I did the 801010 diet for about 1/2 year, I consumed ~4-5k cals daily of mostly fresh dates. At the end of that diet I was 140lbs at 6'2", I was the skinniest I've ever been in my life yet I was eating so many cals. Clearly different foods and even macronutrient compositions effect if a food will make you gain weight.
link|flag


I lost the most weight eating 3500 calories of white rice, and the sad part was that I was trying to gain. – ROB Aug 17 2011 at 1:45

3
@Melissa, I have a pending blog post about how sex impacts dopamine...and why I have normal amounts of sex but very few orgasms on purpose...although I am capable of approx 15 minute male orgasms. Seriously. They are just too exhausting. :) The truth is that I am more sedentary than I like, as I spent a lot of time in meetings, on airplanes, and in cubicles. The only walks I get are at the farmer's market (I drive there) or longer walks from one terminal to another at airports.
@Travis I use selenomethionine yes, I suspect it's long-term mycotoxin poisoning and autonomic dysregulation, or an immune thing involving HAPE axis. Zeroing in on it! :)
@Imanomnivore - thanks! The big difference is the "spices and flavorings" and "cooking" sections as well as the recommendations about how to block toxins in food. The references will all be published in my upcoming www.betterbabybook.com. The Bulletproof Diet and the pregnancy version of it differ in amount and type of carbs though. I simply didn't have the time - even without sleeping - to summarize GCBC and all the macro nutrient benefits of the program for an audience who wasn't already paleo aware, then to also talk about the rest of the BP program, so I link to GCBC as a primer.
@Bambam It is my sincere hope that the upgraded cavemen in my tribe will also learn to rely less on their fight/flight instincts. In fact, there are technologies and nutrients for that! :)
link|flag


Upgraded cavemen? Sounds like a comic book. – BAMBAM Aug 16 2011 at 19:40

Dave I saw you suffer from Lyme,as a Lyme-sufferer myself I'm a bit confused about the few hours of sleep,since sleep is detoxing time for the liver? Can I mail you with some questions? – Joey Aug 16 2011 at 22:02

Yes, email me! I do not suffer from Lyme anymore, but I used to, for years, confirmed by every test known to man, including some you can't order. – Dave Asprey Aug 17 2011 at 21:08

3
Dave, like Tim Ferriss, is a proponent of the 'Quantified Self' movement, which is focused entirely on testing and tracking various things... anecdotes on a blog may count very little, but the years worth of medical data mean a lot.. and from what I've seen, the data shows that Dave does indeed know his stuff.
Besides, his diet protocol is good enough that Dr. Mercola tried to rip it off.. d-bag move, of course, but it shows how good the diet is!
Regarding the sleep parts of Dave's protocol, what most people fail to understand is that by increasing the quality of sleep, we need far less total sleep. Assuming everyone needs 8 hours a night, no matter what, is foolish. Personally, if I get much more than 6 hours a night, I wake up with a headache, and feel somewhat sluggish all day. I'd love to get a Zeo to dial this in even more, because who wouldn't want an extra hour a day??
link|flag

1
Just because Dr. Mercola rip something off doesn't mean that it's "that good." Dr. Mercola's signature move is the rip off. – No more. Aug 16 2011 at 21:51

1
From what I can tell this person is selling things. Not a very credible source...
link|flag


1
This article totally nails Dave.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703712504576242701752957910.html
I think Dave is an interesting guy, and a brilliant marketer in the school of Tim Ferriss, but the dude is just selling so hard it kind of makes me wince. I have a hard time trusting any information source that is trying to sell me something, and I constantly feel like I'm being sold something.
I'm still interested by his stuff, though. His coffee articles are spot-on.
link|flag


1
This is crafty marketing. This guy clearly doesn't lead a sedentary life. Sure, claim nos of no formal exercise might be enticing to some, but don't think for a minute he sits on the couch in front of his tv all day and night eating 5000 cals!
link|flag


0
That's ridiculous. If he really is sleeping that little it will catch up to him. To quote T.S. Wiley on an underground wellness podcast...
"Nature's a mother-fu&#er."
There's no way he's expending 4500 kcals/day, and his diet looks exactly the same as what we all eat.
"look like this without wasting time on sleep or exercise?"
edit - I forgot someone had already posted about this guy and I ripped into him that time about his biography. asinine.
link|flag


It's possible. He could be uber thermogenic, twitchy, etc and if nothing else calories in doesn't necessarily equal calories digested. – No more. Aug 16 2011 at 4:06
6
maybe he's taking in a whole basket of that kale and it's coming right back out... – Bread-Eating Beelzebub Aug 16 2011 at 4:13

lol that is possible – Jeff Aug 16 2011 at 4:37
1
or the leakiest gut ever? – Jeff Aug 16 2011 at 4:37
2
Oh I know, I was making a bad joke. As in, all of the food just leaks out of him. Moderately funny at best ;/ – Jeff Aug 16 2011 at 14:42
show 1 more comment

0
I'm skinnier but my abs are the same with or without exercise - lean and very defined. And I eat a shitload. If you're constitutionally lean, it goes a very long way.
link|flag


0
nah, there is some BS in there somewhere.
link|flag


0
The sleep thing I don't agree on. However there might be some truth in there. A year ago when I was battling Candida I ate more strictly and left out almost all that he mentions and I became very underweight,not exercising to the point where I almost got locked away in an eat disorder clinic! So I do believe,inflammatory foods might cause weight gain or at least some more weight 'cause the fungus&parasites keep triggering you to eat those foods bc they thrive on it just as well as the body does...even if it is organic,whole or nutritious. The amount of cals I don't know if that's true....I think it's actually quite hard on such a clean diet to eat 4500 everyday 'cause you definitely feel less hungry/more&quicker satiated!
link|flag


0
I eat about 2500 calories a day and I am a 135 lb girl. It might be a scam, but I suppose we will never know
link|flag


0
I don't see why this is so hard to believe. Just take too much thyroid hormone and you'll see why...
link|flag


This isn't the first time I have seen it mentioned that he takes thyroid hormone. Do you have a link by any chance ? – Higgs Jun 12 at 15:11

What do you mean, Higgs? – Korion Jun 12 at 16:09