23.5.13

Heart Disease / Cholesterol (Series: The Diet-Heart Myth)

Heart Disease / Cholesterol

Series: The Diet-Heart Myth - by Chris Kresser

Heart Disease / Cholesterol

single eggFor the last half century, the medical establishment has vigorously promoted the notion that high cholesterol is a primary risk factor for coronary heart disease, and that a diet high in saturated fat and cholesterol causes heart disease. These hypotheses are widely accepted as fact by many physicians and the general public alike, despite the overwhelming body of evidence that suggests otherwise.

In the following articles, I review over fifty years of research demonstrating that:
  1. High cholesterol is not the primary cause of heart disease.
  2. Diets high in saturated fat and cholesterol don’t cause heart disease.
  3. Consumption of so-called “heart healthy” vegetable oils is linked to heart disease, cancer and many other conditions.
  4. Statin drugs don’t reduce the risk of death for most people, and have dangerous side effects and complications.
I also discuss the latest theories on what causes heart disease and a truly “heart healthy” approach to diet and lifestyle that is supported by both modern science and centuries of traditional wisdom.

Older Articles


About

headshotMy name is Chris Kresser, and I’m a licensed acupuncturist and practitioner of integrative medicine. I’ve been interested in health and wellness since I was a kid. My high school basketball coach had our whole team on a special diet, and while most of my teammates couldn’t stand it, I actually loved the way I felt when I ate healthy food.