27.5.13

The Only Way I Drink Coffee…high fat (butter and / or coconut oil)

Healthy Coffee Recipe

The Only Way I Drink Coffee…

A way to supercharge coffee and make it healthy and great for your skin The Only Way I Drink Coffee...

After a recent facebook post where I mentioned I put some strange ingredients in my coffee, I’ve gotten a few emails asking for more details…

I have a love/hate relationship with coffee. Basically, I love coffee but my adrenals don’t always love it! Also, since I don’t eat/drink sugar or much pasteurized dairy, it can make for some pretty boring coffee… until now.

I’d always mixed coconut oil into my coffee or tea to help get my 1/4 cup a day, though it always floated on the top and the texture was sometimes rough (especially when I was pregnant…  the texture made me so nauseous!). At the suggestion of a site I sometimes read, I tried a strange twist that has become my new favorite!

Basically, I blend coconut oil and grassfed organic unsalted butter (yes… butter) into coffee with a dash of vanilla and sometimes a drop of stevia. The blender emulsifies the coconut oil and butter so the texture is more creamy than oily and it is a delicious way to get a boost of beneficial fats. This type of coffee also gives much more extended energy throughout the day without making me jittery.

I also tried his Bulletproof Coffee which is much smoother than regular coffee and produced carefully to avoid the presence of Mycotoxins: “Most coffee beans are processed by either leaving them in the sun and elements to wither and dry, or by pressing them and letting them ferment (spoil) to remove the outer layer of the bean.  Both of these techniques are known to produce significant levels of mycotoxins as they enhance flavor. Upgraded Coffee beans are mechanically processed right after picking using only clean cold water.  This more expensive process is safer because it dramatically reduces harmful molds or bacteria from impacting your health.”

Seriously, try this coffee at your own risk, because it will ruin you for drinking other coffee!
Bulletproof coffee and herbal coffee are the only ones I drink anymore and I always prepare it this way…

The Only Way I Drink Coffee…
A way to supercharge coffee and make it healthy and great for your skin The Only Way I Drink Coffee...
A delicious and creamy coffee that packs a powerful nutritional punch!

Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Mix on high speed for 20 seconds until frothy. Drink immediately and enjoy all the energy!
Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Notes:

I take my fermented cod liver oil right before drinking this to give all the fat soluble vitamins some beneficial fats to digest with. If you aren’t regularly taking coconut oil, start with a teaspoon and work up as too much at once might upset your stomach. Coconut oil often increases metabolism and some people notice feeling warmer or like their heart is racing if they start off too fast.
Do you drink coffee? Put butter in it? Too weird? Weigh in below!




Leave a message...
  • Avatar

    Danielle O. 10 months ago


    That's how I take my coffee, too. People give you the strangest looks when you tell them you put butter in your coffee. But it tastes SOO good! Can't imagine going back now.

  • Avatar

    Carole 10 months ago


    i drink bulletproof coffee too, although it's been so hot & humid lately that -- ick. but the coffee is delish. now that's it hot outside, i've been drinking sweetner-free smoothies with a heavy pour of coconut oil. that way i still get my fats, i drink something cool and refreshing, and life is generally good.

  • Avatar

    Cotopaxipamela 10 months ago


    I put coconut oil, two tbsp of chia seeds, one tbsp
    of unflavored beef gelatin, and a little of my home made coconut milk, and some raw honey. Yum! Gets me my energy fix in the morning for WODS!

  • Avatar

    Kaleyf 10 months ago


    I just made some to try. OMG I am hooked!

  • Avatar

    Amy 10 months ago


    I make home made hazelnut creamer, basically hazelnut milk without diluting it with water. It is *amazing* in coffee. Sadly butter is not on menu here since my boys are very allergic dairy.

  • Avatar

    Julie 10 months ago


    This morning, my pastured heavy cream had turned to butter without my consent!  However, I went ahead and put it in my coffee since I had none other and can't get it down straight.  Despite the presence of little yellow dots of butter floating on the surface, the coffee was fine, so I'm trying this as soon as I get home today!  Thanks!

  • Avatar

    Julie 10 months ago


    P.S. What's the butter for, anyway?  Taste or nutrition or texture?

  • Avatar

    Chantel 10 months ago


    haha! I tried blending coffee and butter once because I read it on another blog somewhere and decided I needed to try it that instant. The problem was that all I had at my house at the time was salted butter. While the texture was luscious...salty coffee just did not satisfy. But this reminds me I need to seek out some unsalted butter and try it again. What kind of butter do you use? I use either kerrygold or organic valley. Even though I don't recall seeing it, they must sell unsalted, right?

  • Avatar

    Liv 10 months ago


    What are your views on coffee while pregnant? I'd like to try this, but I'm about 10 weeks and there is a lot of conflicting info on coffee while pregnant. I'm assuming one cup/day is fine?

  • Avatar

    Kalileko 10 months ago


    I'm sure I would love this. But before I try (and potentially ruin an excellent cup of coffee): is your butter soured? I'm in Scaandinavia and both our salted and unsalted butters are soured.
    This week my supermarket has an organic, pastured and welltasting butter on sale - and they are located only 20 steps from my door. Alas my pockets are empty but maybe I can spare a little for a butter stash ;)


    • Wellness Mama Mod Kalileko 10 months ago


      It isn't soured... that would probably create a different taste. you could even just use the coconut oil if you need to...

      • Avatar

        Kalileko Wellness Mama 10 months ago


        I've tried it a couple of times now with the butter I had in my fridge and in both matcha and coffee. The souredness doesn't actually put me of but i think I'll get some unsalted butter to use instead! I'm adding both sweetener and vanilla, which I normally don't do, and that may counteract for the souredness i think?
        Thanks for this idea! I would never had thought of it but have been thinking about how I could lessen my use of cream lately. (leadint up to actually forgoing dairy.... oi, the horror;))
        Also I don't really like the taste of coconut but like this I can get more coconut oil in without trouble and might even come to enjoy it. Double yay!

  • Avatar

    warmtiles Lolly 10 months ago


    I use canned coconut milk in my coffee - love it

  • Avatar

    Holly1414 10 months ago


    I've been blending coconut oil into my coffee for about a month, and I LOVE it! Sometimes I add vanilla and/or cinnamon, or some homemade whipped cream, but I've never tried butter. Sounds good!

  • Avatar

    Alexandra 10 months ago


    Coffee's a rare treat for me nowadays.  A nice cup of hot tea does the trick for me!  I will definitely give this a try.

  • Avatar

    Laura 10 months ago


    What kind of coconut oil do you use?  I've been reading about the many uses of this oil and would like to know your opinion on what's good out there.

  • Avatar

    MeliSsa murphy 10 months ago


    On the recommendation of my Ayurvedic doctor, I put a pinch of freshly ground cardamom into my coffee. I keep a separate spice mill just for this purpose. Sometimes I'll also add ground cinnamon and ginger. I like adding coconut oil as well. And double cream!


  • Amanda Lindahl 10 months ago


    This is money!


  • Diane Vigna 10 months ago


    do you use hot, warm or cooled coffee?

  • Avatar

    Dragonherb 10 months ago


    Doesn't sound at all weird to me.  I love coffee, but I'm limited to one cup a day.  I'm going to try your recipe so I can at least enjoy that one cup!  Right now, digestive problems are an issue...would be nice to find an answer to that!

  • Avatar

    Sherylsprague24 10 months ago


    Do you think coconut sugar is better than stevia to put in your coffee or tea in the morning? Ty


  • Wendy Vania 10 months ago


    My daughter and I have coffee every weekday morn, with organic full cream.  We have been wanting to try our coffee "your way" but didn't have the unsalted grassfed butter-only salted.  Anyway, as necessity would have it (I was out of our cream) we did your coffee :) with regular unsalted butter- WOW so impressed.....I must always have cream in my coffee (I thought until NOW), but today ran out of the rich cream that I love,  and I did not miss it! Coffee done Mama's way was GREAT!   Now I know what you were talking about, so rich, so creamy, (not in a thick weird way) it was absolutely delish!   Thank you!

  • Avatar

    Bumfamily 10 months ago


    I LOVED IT!    WOW!

  • Avatar

    Christina 10 months ago


    I made this with my breakfast this morning.  I was a bit skeptical about the butter (I had used coconut oil before though, and liked it so that wasn't an issue), but after blending it up it tasted like a yummy, frothy cappucino!  I think tomorrow I am going to put a little cinnamon on top!


  • Grandma 10 months ago


    I've ordered Mountain rose's herbal coffee and am looking forward to trying it.  Different brands of coffee affect my stomach at times so this should be good.  I have started adding a little coconut oil to my coffee also but I need to get a small blender.   I think I'll order some of the butter from tropical traditions also.  While I don't believe in "depriving" myself of all the things I enjoy, I can make some changes and pass them on to my daughter and her young son.

  • Avatar

    Janekay 10 months ago


    Is there a reason why you don't add the MCT oil?  Is coconut oil giving you the same medium chain triglycerides as the oil?  Thanks for any advice.

  • Avatar

    RacheL H. 10 months ago


    I wonder if this would be good substituting raw fresh cream instead of the butter? Thankfully, my Mom has unsalted organic butter due to a mixed up order via an almost-local creamery! :) I suppose I can try my coffee both ways. 

  • Avatar

    theresa gianna 9 months ago


    i finally tried this -- it's good! i use cinnamon instead of vanilla. i'm really glad you posted this recipe, because i cannot *stand* taking coconut oil. i don't like the taste at all, and have been struggling to find ways to successfully incorporate it. and this works! i can get in a full two tablespoons (probably more)!

  • Avatar

    Lisa 9 months ago


    Just tried it... looking forward to all that energy today!


  • Andrea Crowe Davis 9 months ago


    All I gotta say is....I am absolutely and completely addicted to drinking coffee this way. I never thought anything would replace my straight, black coffee, but this blend is AMAZING!!!!!!


  • Canadian Girl 9 months ago


    Our dairy in Canada isn't the same as in the U.S. Our farmers are regulated to not use hormones or antibiotics on their animals. I tried this recipe with a coconut butter/ghee product and it worked great. I do like cream in my coffee. Can I add it?

  • Avatar

    carole 9 months ago


    Nummy! I always thought this sounded kind of icky and how could it be better than heavy cream, right? But this recipe just kept "coming back to me". So I broke down and tried it this morning.
    Nummy!
    Thanks for posting this.

  • Avatar

    JessieO 9 months ago


    I remembered your post about this and I put half a teaspoon of coconut oil in my coffee. I didnt remember what amount you said to start with. I guess I'll see how it goes. The coffee loooked a little oily but didnt feel that way when I drank it. It was smooth.


  • Alde 8 months ago


    Oh My God amazing thank you so much this is my now my fav way of drinking coffee :D

  • Avatar

    Nicole 8 months ago


    I love this!

  • Avatar

    Kim Bryant 8 months ago


    Maybe everyone is already doing this but I thought I would mention the immersion blender.... so much easier than the regular blender!


  • Catherine Peisher Knight 7 months ago


    I call this turbo coffee. Sometimes I add cocoa powder to it, sometimes I add cinnamon, nutmeg and a dollop of pumpkin to it (I don't want to be left out of the fall frenzy for pumpkin spice lattes)


  • Jenn 7 months ago


    Who'd have thought....I didn't have any unsalted butter just cream being cultured to make butter so I used some of that with 1 tsp of coconut oil in my honey latte...not bad. I can't even taste the coconut oil...I steamed it with the cream using an expresso maker. Nice and frothy.


  • chinyaray 7 months ago


    I am 32 weeks along and don't plan on drinking coffee until I am finished breastfeeding, which will be quite a while from now. I am bookmarking this but I did purchase some Bulletproof for a friend and now she is hooked! So thank you for sharing, from both of us!