18.7.11

Sleep impact of low carb - Paleo Hacks

Forum discussion - personal experiences with sleep impact of low carb

Can't Sleep on Paleo - Paleo Hacks.com

....and see:
Extract:

Hey guys I've looked at many other posts about sleeping, and I've tried a lot of suggestions ( magnesium, tea, gaba) with little success however I feel that my sleep gets worse if I have a day with very low carbs, So I was wondering is carbs help someone sleep? and when should I eat them if so, I am trying to lose weight so I've typically been eating no carbs and it is than I found my problems started. Another thing is when I do fall asleep I wake up extremely early having to pee something that has never happened to me before. Should I eat carbs in morning, Post workout, b4 bed? whats the suggestions

I am on the carb side of the fence here. I added back nighttime carbs and my sleep is much better for it. I think this strategy works for a few reasons:
  • Carbs suppress the release of certain blood sugar raising hormones like cortisol and adrenaline. These things can cause you to have bad sleep.
  • Carbs at dinner/night will keep your blood sugar from crashing during sleep, which can raise those stress hormones at some inconvenient hour. Those are the hormones that help wake you in the morning- which hopefully comes 8 hours after you go to bed.

I know it's popular to say carbs aren't essential. I honestly can't understand where this comes from. There are so many "paleo" carbs like potatoes and squash that it seems silly to label them as unhealthy. Natural carbs like potato are one of the highest in potassium. Potassium helps turn glucose into glycogen in the absence of insulin. To compare a potato with bread or some other kind of manufactured carbohydrate containing food is ridiculous.

You can still keep lowish carb and save them all for your dinner - which is what I do. So far so good.

For more Paleo hacks: http://paleohacks.com/questions/48643/cant-sleep-on-paleo#ixzz1SPWqEIWP